Saturday, July 2, 2011

Yummy Summer Dessert!

So, one night in Charleston we went to this little classy place where I ordered Lemon Sorbet (I tend to want sour or salty...not too much sweet these days!) And here is what it looked like:
The sorbet was inside a frozen lemon shell! Great presentation, and it tasted amazing. So.... I decided that I could probably replicate the dessert at home. Here is the step by step for how I made my similar dessert--all from scratch!
First, boil 1 cup sugar with 1 1/2 c water to make a simple syrup--then set in fridge for it to cool completely. (If you want a sweeter sorbet, do equal parts of sugar and water, and boil until the mixture runs clear. I like it a little more tart, so I used less sugar!)
Next, slice off the top of a large lemon, and hollow out the lemon--keep all the juice, as this will be needed!




After the lemon is hollowed out (easiest to use a spoon and your fingers! I think that a grapefruit spoon would have helped, but we didn't have one....) place the lemon shell in the freezer to harden.
Next, using a juicer, get as much of the lemon juice out as you can. (I used 4 large lemons, so I could have the shells--this made about 1 cup of juice. I also juiced about 4 small lemons, so I could have 1/2 cup more juice for my sorbet--so you need a total of 1 and 1/2 cups of juice)


You also need about a teaspoon of lemon zest--another reason to have a few small lemons, as you don't want to take off any zest from your shells!
Finally, using my ice cream maker, I added the simple syrup, lemon juice, and lemon zest and let the machine go for about 20 minutes. After it got slushy, I transfered it to a container and placed it in the freezer for about an hour to harden a little more. (Had I let the syrup cooled more, the mixture wouldn't have been so slushy, but I was in a hurry!)


Finally, I scooped the fresh sorbet into the lemon shells, let them set in the freezer during dinner, and then served then for dessert! Yummy!



It took a little bit of work, but the end result was fantastic! I plan to try this with a few other fruits as well :) You use the same basic simple syrup, but you can use any type of fruit juice, throw berries into a food processer, etc. and you can have whatever flavor you want! I do recommend with sweeter fruits that you add about a teaspoon of lemon, to help balance the flavor so that its not too sweet.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment